Monday, May 8, 2017

Notes from research meeting - 8 May

Today I met with Ted.
(I'd spent the whole morning at the Rackham Writing Intensive, which was good.)

In 3 weeks (May 29) I should have my new NOEMA dataset calibrated/ reduced at a basic level.

By the midpoint of today and my trip to Denmark (July 5, although in Ted's brain it was mid-June), I should have a reduced ALMA product. (If they manage to complete the remaining 3/4 of the program, then hopefully I'll know by then.)


more things...
so, how to use a plot of f_c versus temperature to get a real value? Ted says "basically you look at it by eye and just sorta spitball it, take the middle value... 1.6 plus or minus 0.2. Call it good."

We can use non-detections of higher-J lines to constrain the physical conditions:
find the highest-J line with a non-detection
(here, the defn of non-detection is...
using fixed v_cen and v_fwhm, if the area under the line doesn't exceed 5 sigma then it's a non detection)
you can exclude any physical model that predicts a line strength greater than 5 sigma for that line.

cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment